Save Up to $200 When You Improve Your Heating Duct System
New Mexico Gas Company offers a $200 rebate when you have a participating contractor seal your home’s heating duct system.
Benefits of Sealing Your Home’s Duct System
In houses with forced-air heating and cooling systems, ducts are used to distribute conditioned air throughout the home. However, about 20 to 30% of the air that moves through the duct system is lost due to leaks, holes and poorly connected ducts. This results in higher utility bills and less comfort, no matter how the thermostat is set. A duct system that is well-designed and properly sealed can make your home more comfortable, energy efficient and safer, plus:
Save Energy and Money
Increase efficiency, lower your energy bills and pay for the upgrade with savings.
Solve common comfort problems, such as rooms that are too hot in summer or too cold in winter.
Increase Air Quality
Reduce the risk of pollutants entering ducts from dusty attics or musty crawlspaces and circulating through your home.
Reduce the risk of “backdrafting,” where combustion gases (like carbon monoxide) from gas appliances reenter the living space, rather than releasing outdoors.
Save up to $200 when you use a licensed and insured participating contractor to seal your home’s duct system.
How It Works
Duct sealing must be purchased on or after April 1, 2023 and installed by March 31, 2024. Rebate applications must be received by April 30, 2024. See Program Terms and Conditions for additional details.
A participating contractor will:
- Inspect the whole duct system, including attic and crawl spaces
- Perform a “pre” duct leakage test to help target your largest gaps
- Make the recommended air sealing improvements
- Repair damaged and disconnected ducts
- Seal all leaks and connections with mastic, metal tape or an aerosol-based sealant
- Evaluate air flow after repairs are completed
- Ensure there is no backdrafting of gas appliances and conduct a combustion safety test after ducts are sealed
- Complete a “post” duct leakage test to show your improvements
Your "pre and post" duct leakage tests must show your improvements cut air leakage by 10%.
Customers who receive natural gas service from New Mexico Gas Company, as evidenced by the New Mexico Gas Company residential customer account number, are eligible.
How to Participate
Improve your home comfort and savings by sealing your home’s envelope in four easy steps:
Find a participating contractor
Save invoice and provide the "pre and post" blower door test results